1. The name of the society shall be the Winchester Photographic Society.
2. The aims and objectives of the Society are the promotion, encouragement and enjoyment of all branches of photography through meetings, lectures, workshops and other activities aiding Member advancement, and to hold an Annual Exhibition.
3. The Society shall be affiliated to the Photographic Alliance of Great Britain (PAGB) and be a member of the Southern Counties Photographic Federation (SCPF).
4. Membership is open to all those who are 16 years of age and over. For those under the age of 18, membership applications must be countersigned by a parent or guardian.
Visitors are encouraged to attend meetings but attendance is limited to a maximum of four meetings per Society year.
5. The committee shall comprise three Officers and other Committee Members. The Officers shall comprise the President, the Secretary, and the Treasurer. The Committee may co-opt additional Members onto the Committee for specific tasks.
6. Role descriptions shall be maintained for all committee roles except for Ordinary Committee Members, who shall represent the Members in general.
7. Officers and other Committee Members (except for Ordinary Members) shall be appointed for 3 years after which they may re-apply for any position. The President is normally first elected as Vice-president, serves a year as President, and then a year as Past President. Ordinary members are appointed for one year after which they may re-apply for any position.
8. The management of the society shall be the responsibility of the Committee which shall have delegated powers to deal with and decide upon all matters not covered by the Constitution and may establish Sub Committees as it deems necessary.
9. Assets and funds held by the Society shall be managed by the Treasurer on behalf of the Society. The Treasurer shall ensure the safe keeping of all funds, track the location of all assets and prepare Annual Accounts with a financial year end of 31 March. The Committee shall appoint an Independent Financial Examiner who shall review the accounts.
10 An annual general meeting (AGM) shall normally be held each May with papers circulated no less than two weeks beforehand. Officers and, as necessary, other Committee Members shall present reports. The Treasurer shall submit the Annual Accounts and propose the Membership and Visitor fees. Business will include the Election of Officers and Committee Members.
11 Additional AGM agenda items and motions should be proposed, seconded and submitted to the Secretary no less than three weeks before the meeting.
12 A special general meeting (SGM) may be scheduled by the Committee or upon receipt of a written request supported by ten or more Members. Members shall be given no less than seven days notice of a SGM, stating the matter(s) to be addressed.
13 Decisions at AGM, SGM and Committee Meetings will be determined by a majority vote with the Chairperson (the senior Officer present) holding a casting vote. A quorum shall comprise no less than 15% of the Membership for an AGM or SGM and no less than six (including two Officers) for a Committee Meeting. Approved minutes will be published on the Society website.
14 Annual subscriptions are due on or before the opening meeting of each Society's year which will normally run from September to May. The Treasurer shall determine any part-year membership fees.
15 The code of conduct requires each Member to abide by the Constitution and to:
• act in the best interests of the Society, its Objectives and its Members;
• act as an ambassador for the Society and not in any way to damage its reputation;
• respect the views of other Members, photographers and guests.
16 The Committee reserves the right to TERMINATE A MEMBERSHIP for good reason and repay any unused portion of subscription. The member concerned has the right to be heard by the Committee, accompanied if they wish by a friend or representative, before a final decision is made.
17 The Society may only be dissolved if an AGM or SGM motion to do so is supported by a majority vote of at least 80% of the membership after which the physical assets will be disposed of and the Society funds shared equally amongst all members paid up at the time of the resolution.
18 The Committee shall review the constitution from time to time and present any recommendations for change to an AGM or SGM for approval.
This Constitution was adopted at the SGM on 21st May 2013.